Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I've been blooded!

G'day!

Actually, I don't know if it's a g'day.  I got leeched today.  Twice.  So far, I've picked leeches off my gloves, pants, arms, legs, and shirt.  But none of them had their hooks into me yet.  My host is a leech attractant with several daily.  We got 2 new wwoofers on Saturday.  One German girl and one Korean girl who met up a month ago and are now traveling together.  They'd already worked at one place with leeches and each had at least 2 leechings apiece.  And they each got leeched at least once on Saturday.  I've been here for over a week, 10 days, and was being teased that I'm not a true wwoofer until I got at least one leech.

Well, those darn leeches really got me today.  You don't feel them.  They bore through your clothes or inch their way onto your skin.  Then they crawl to a place that is under cover; they don't latch onto exposed skin. When they latch on, they inject an anesthetic so you don't feel them and a blood thinner so they get your blood flowing.  When they are full, they fall off and crawl away.  Often, your first indicator that you've been leeched is that you notice that you are bleeding.  That's because you don't stop bleeding for a while after the leech has left.  It can get bloody messy.

Well.  One of those damn things made it all the way to my chest.  Latched on just off center below my left breast.  Can you believe that!!?!  I was at the bathroom sink and saw spots on my red T-shirt.  I immediately thought, "That's blood; a leech got me.  No, I can't get a leech on my chest!"  Unfortunately, when I pulled up my shirt, I was a bloody mess.  Gross!  After I showered, I found another leeched mark on my upper ankle.  I am a true wwoofer now.  Ewwwww!

G'nite!!
Cyn

5 comments:

  1. scaryyyy!! does it hurt now?

    team jacob!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do u stop it from bleeding? :(((

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stop the bleeding by applying pressure. Eventually the blood clots again and the bleeding stops. I've been blooded 3 times now and only my chest bled a lot. Yucko!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Gday!