Sunday, July 10, 2011

Darwin in the Top End

G'day!

I arrived in Darwin by air (Jetstar $216) on June 30.  The time difference is 1.5 hours later than East Coast (Sydney) time.  I've never heard of half hour time differences and I guess my computer hasn't either cuz its time is off.   From the airplane, I saw a giant river zigzagging through the red desert.  It must be the rainbow serpent of Aboriginal mythology.  Awesome! too bad I couldn't get my camera out.

Tourism is big business!
I checked into Dingo Moon Lodge ($34.50/4 bed, $32.50/6 bed) which includes an extensive breakfast.  Two hours later, I was on my way with a group of fellow travelers to the Thursday night market at Mindil Beach, a 2K/25 minute walk from the hostel.  We made it just in time for the sunset (6:30ish).
Territory Day didgeridoo player and fireworks
The Mindil Beach market is held weekly on Thursday and Sunday evenings during the dry season (May-November) and I think EVERYBODY in town goes.  Right behind the beach are about 70 food booths including Road Kill Cafe and Bush Tucker and more than 150 vendor booths.  There's also street performers including a GREAT fire act, didgeridoo players, and singers.

The market was also open on Friday, 1 July because it was Territory Day.  Lucky me! because at 7:30 pm, the BEST fireworks show began.  Most of the fireworks during the 30 minute show were choreographed to a live didgeridoo player and a drummer.  Fireballs and fire columns erupted along the foreshore of the beach behind the musicians.  Spectacular!!!  Meanwhile, very nice conventional fireworks burst, sparkled and cascaded overhead.  The long beach was packed with thousand(s) of people.  Boats lined the horizon.  This show made up for my missing Independence Day in Foster City with my family.
Darwin Waterfront

The weather in Darwin has been sunny with 28-33*C/83-91*F and average to above average humidity.  Since I really like low humidity (Utah's 10-15% is just right), I felt sticky and HOT! most days.

I walked the city tour, heaps of info/ruins from Cyclone Tracy and WWII and military memorials. Darwin and the surrounding area were heavily bombed in WWII.  Women and children were evacuated.  America had a heavy presence in Australia and had a major role in Australia's success.  The Wave Lagoon ($5 half, $8 full day) and swimming lagoon in the Waterfront are nice new additions to the city.

The Wave Lagoon
I stopped for 2 hours at the Chinese Museum ($4).  The museum details the history of Chinese, who arrived in 1870, in Darwin (formerly Palmerston) and their roles in WWII.  The major difference is that Chinese were present from the early days, integrated into the community, and helped shape the economy and infrastructure of the area.  Chinese born in the area did not experience discrimination until they were evacuated during WWII into other cities such as Melbourne or Sydney where they were "the Chinese girl or boy".

The Chinese have a long history in Darwin
The family trees displays were fascinating to me because I am unable to trace my own further than my great-grandfather due to possible "paper son" name changes and language barriers.  (My lack of Chinese reading/detailed comprehension and the American spelling of names upon immigration.)

I enjoyed talking to three 4th and 5th generation ABCs Australian born Chinese volunteers - each with Australian accents!  Only the 60ish woman spoke a little Cantonese/Hoy San; most Chinese these days are of mixed race.  She loved that I called it "chut (7) yup".  The community does offer a Mandarin school for children.

The museum has a few artifacts but the average non-Chinese visitor would probably be disappointed and would be more happy to tour the Chinese Temple (free) next door which has many more Asian things to look at.

The George Brown Botanical Gardens are separated into distinct sections with the Children's area fenced off for safety.  Although the gates are open from 7-7, the gardens are accessible anytime.   I enjoyed the permaculture food/flower section, a wild rainforest area and the Tiwi forest area.

Next stop, Kakadu National Park!
Cheers!
Cyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Gday!