Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Water emergency!

Gday!
We had an emergency Thursday night.  My hostess found out that her water tank had a leak in it and since 3 of her 4 huge tanks are connected, she lost all the rainwater out of the 3 tanks.  Since rainwater is the primary water supply, that is a disaster!  One tank might be enough if you are conservative.  But she wanted 3 so she would never run out of water.  She was very upset!!

Her handyman was nice enough to come out here (before he left for a week's holiday) and fixed it (in the dark) so that the fourth tank gives us water in the house.  It was the rainwater overflow for the first three and went to 2 garden taps. It rained a lot this year and so all 4 tanks had rainwater in them.   If there's no overflow, water from the "dam" goes into it.

Aniela has said that rain water is very pure, soft, and good to drink and that there is a filter before it comes into the house.  I don't know about this tank though.  I'm boiling all my water before I drink it, just in case.



So out here in the boondocks, people have to be very self-sufficient.  Rainwater is the primary water source.  Many people have dams on their property.  I'm not quite sure about this but from what I see and understand, a large hole is dug into the ground and allowed to fill with rainwater.  So it's a reservoir.  (Hey Julie!  Is that the same as a swale in eco-speak?)  I'm not sure if it is lined, I don't think it is.  (Sorry, I don't have internet access except for a few minutes almost every day and I'm not wasting it on research.  And I don't dare ask my hostess.)  There was a dam in Cambewarra, adjacent to the cricket field. I've seen at least one in each paddock/pasture.  Some properties might have a well to tap into groundwater.  That might depend on whether there is groundwater or not and whether the groundwater is useable (mineral content).



After water, energy is the next biggie.  Water pumps need to be powered.  If the electricity goes out, you don't have water for the duration.   Unless you have an alternate power source.  I've seen solar panels on a lot of roofs. I've seen windmills on several properties.  I haven't seen them spinning, but they're there.  And I've read about water mills on some properties in my WWOOFer book.

I've also seen a couple of woodpiles that are huge!  They must just be there cuz trees had to be taken down on the property.  I can't imagine that they were delivered.  Each place I've stayed has less than a small pickup truck full (1/4 cord).  On my walk into town Sunday, I passed this sign for Shoalhaven (the region I'm in) Stockpile #1.  I have no idea what they're stockpiling.  Hmmm....




Convenience, aesthetics, ecology, cost;  usually it's a trade off.  So far, I’ve seen several improvements I willing to incorporate into my life after I get back to America.

I love that all the electrical outlets have an on/off switch.  So even if you have something plugged in, you can have the outlet switched off and the item wouldn’t be a power vampire.  Apparently, people still unplug computers during lightning storms in case of power surges. I think power strips/surge protectors with an on/off button do the same thing but isn't the power strip a power vampire in itself?  I don't know if the switches are something that can be installed easily but it would be handy to have one for countertop microwaves, entertainment equipment, and other stuff that's handy to have plugged in but not used constantly.  Providing the outlet is easily reachable.



I also like those electric kettles.  I didn't realize how quickly they heat the water.  I'm sure it's more energy efficient than boiling on the stove and definitely more energy efficient than the hot water dispenser at the sink.

And the flushing options on the toilets.  Uh, self explanatory, I think.

And believe it or not, I like the laundry lines.  I hadn't used one since I lived in the public housing projects in Chinatown.  (Remember, San?  They were dark, spooky, and echoey.) I like the idea of being able to peg stuff out on warm sunny days.  I'd still use my dryer but I'd use it less if I had a ....


...Nice, wide, covered veranda around most of my home.  I love the idea of indoor/outdoor living but I really don't like being in the sun.  I hate putting sunscreen on.  And I don't like my freckles (FRECKLES!!!! NOT age spots!!!!)   Did you know that Australia has the highest skin cancer rate in the world?  There are ads about skin cancer and sun screen on television regularly.  They also still have Flying Doctor services to reach people in remote places.

I already mentioned click-on rather than screw-on hose menders, sprinklers and nozzles.

Someone brought up tipping in America.  I'll discuss that next time.  In the meantime,  if you have any comments or questions, please let me know.  It's easier for me, if you comment through the blog itself but I do also check Facebook.  I've enjoyed seeing new things and then doing research (by talking to people and through the internet) to learn more.  I hope you've found it interesting too.

I miss wifi!!!!  I miss communicating with my family and friends!!  G'day!
Cyn
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Gday!